Cannot access WP admin

Issue Summary

Getting a “503 Service unavailable” when trying to access wp-admin

Troubleshooting Questions

When I install a fresh new site, Apache webserver PHP 8.0 I get a “503 Service unavailable, The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later” error when trying to acces wp-admin

When I install a NGINX version, PHP 8.0 I get a 502 Bad Gateway error.

Replication

It happens for every new site. Tried different browsers. Tried older PHP versions, works until version 7.3.5, anything newer gives the same error.

Strange thing is that wp-login.php is available. I can login, but going to wp-admin gives the error. If I go to the site after login, I can see that I am logged in (black admin header).I can create, view or edit posts, I can see the users, change the settings but cannot see the media library, the theme, the plugins etc.

Tried setting WP debug to true but no debug.log file is written

System Details

Local is version 6.4.3 +6116

I am running Mac OS 10.14.6

There are no recent errors in the Local Log. I’ll attach it anyway.
local-logs1.zip (278.8 KB)

I am still trying to figure this out. Looks like the exact same problem as this: 502 Bad Gateway (nginx/1.16.0) in all sites after update

The OP of this topic is also running MacOS Mojave (10.14.6), just like I do. Upgrading the mac os is not really an option, since it runs older software.

I looked into the logfile that is written to the logs folder in Local.

When I start the site it writes:

[18-Nov-2022 15:01:05] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 2449
[18-Nov-2022 15:01:05] NOTICE: ready to handle connections

When I acces the site nothing is written to the logfile.
Then, when trying to acces wp-admin it writes:

[18-Nov-2022 15:01:21] WARNING: [pool www] child 2458 said into stderr: "dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ___darwin_check_fd_set_overflow"
[18-Nov-2022 15:01:21] WARNING: [pool www] child 2458 said into stderr: "  Referenced from: /Users/bobeager/Library/Application Support/Local/lightning-services/php-8.0.22+3/bin/darwin/sbin/../dylibs/libcurl.4.dylib (which was built for Mac OS X 11.0)"
[18-Nov-2022 15:01:21] WARNING: [pool www] child 2458 said into stderr: "  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib"
[18-Nov-2022 15:01:21] WARNING: [pool www] child 2458 said into stderr: "dyld: Symbol not found: ___darwin_check_fd_set_overflow"
[18-Nov-2022 15:01:21] WARNING: [pool www] child 2458 said into stderr: "  Referenced from: /Users/bobeager/Library/Application Support/Local/lightning-services/php-8.0.22+3/bin/darwin/sbin/../dylibs/libcurl.4.dylib (which was built for Mac OS X 11.0)"
[18-Nov-2022 15:01:21] WARNING: [pool www] child 2458 said into stderr: "  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib"
[18-Nov-2022 15:01:21] WARNING: [pool www] child 2458 exited on signal 6 (SIGABRT) after 16.487523 seconds from start
[18-Nov-2022 15:01:21] NOTICE: [pool www] child 2471 started

Not sure what to make of this, perhaps it could give others a direction what is causing the error?

Hi there, @Eagerbob -

Thank you for bringing your question to the Local community.

There is a new release, 6.5.2 that may address this issue. Have you tried updating to the latest Local?

Here’s the Releases page where you can find and download the latest version:

Please let me know if that helps,

Sam

Hello Sam,

Thanks for chiming in. Yes I tried upgrading. I am on version 6.5.2 +6204
But that did not help, unfortunately.

Looks like it has something to do with my OS version.

So any suggestions on how to solve this are welcome

Cheers,

Bob

Similar issue with 6.5.2 over Windows/Apache/PHP 8.1.9. Any page returns:

Service Unavailable : The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

The OP gets a wp-login.php, I don’t.

For me the solution is the same as another that’s been discussed in this forum. I tend to install most applications to my C drive and put most data in my D drive. There is a PHP issue from v7+ that causes PHP to fail with this configuration. So now for Local sites I either put data in C, or I create a hard-link from C to D and install under that.

For this problem, I did exactly that - just created the site in C with the configuration otherwise exactly the same, and everything works. So it seems this is just a different error resulting from a different version of PHP with the same issue. (BTW, I did submit a request for changes to PHP but, there’s no telling if/when that will be processed.)

Solution for Windows : Your data must be in the same drive/volume as Local, or there will be complications.

Solution for Mac? : This might be a permissions issue. Check the permissions on existing Local sites and their folders. What is the user under which the other sites are running? Is the user where you are running Local now different from previously? Did you create your own folder system for Local sites? Is it different from the defaults?

HTH

Hi there, all -

I wanted to share a link and response from the Local team regarding MacOS Mojave (10.14).

Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns!

Sam :woman_technologist:t3:

mmmh ok, seems I am out of luck here. Off course I knew that It would become unsustainable one day to run an older OS, but it still hurts.

I was pretty happy with my setup. Local to quickly install and develop WP sites, Nova for coding, Codekit for compiling and Sourcetree for version control. It worked flawlessly until PHP 8 came along.

Hey @Eagerbob - I understand your pain, and I’m sorry you ran into this issue with the latest release. The good news is that you can always install a previous build from our releases page and continue using Local - other Mojave users have reported that resolved things for them.

Users who must remain on macOS Mojave or lower can install Local v6.4.3 from our releases page [www.localwp.com/releases/6.4.3].

I’m curious to learn more - is there a reason you can’t upgrade past Mojave? Is it a hardware limitation?

Thanks Austin, I’ll try an older version. But will it run PHP 8?

I’m curious to learn more - is there a reason you can’t upgrade past Mojave? Is it a hardware limitation?

No hardware limitation. I can run the latest OS on my macbook pro. It is just that Mojave is the latest macOS that runs Adobe Creative Suite 6. This was the last version before the subscription model. I paid for it in full and I still use it and want to be able to keep using it. But not enough to warrant the yearly subscription price.

Maybe I install a new volume on my mac with the latest OS, and keep the Mojave startup volume for running the Adobe apps. Problem is the sharing of files, which I guess is not possible other than trough an external volume.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.