Local 5.9.7 update issue: cannot access site in Chrome browser (macOS)

Hi guys, hope you can help. Thank you!!

Issue Summary

I updated to Local version 5.9.7 22DEC. Worked fine yesterday, today 23DEC local site won’t open in browser (Chrome/Firefox same). Browser Error: Site can’t be reached. [local site name] refused to connect… ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
    Happens to both sites I have created in Local.

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
    Yes. Can create new site and access it in Browser

Troubleshooting steps I took (in order):

1. cleared all cache and browser history from Chrome.
  2. tried opening site in Firefox and Chrome browser. Same issue in both.
  3. reinstalled 5.9.6 again (selected ‘replace’ option). Still same issue
  4. reinstalled 5.9.7 (from prompt in Local App 5.9.6). Still same issue

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

• open Local App (5.9.6 version) and install 5.9.7 update when prompted from within app
  • allow App to reopen (I was able to access my sites no problem at this point and work on them for 5+ hours).
  • Close App (go to bed :slight_smile: )
  • Open App (I opened next day, no other updates done on mac nor other software)
  • started my site and clicked ‘Admin’ button from within Local app.
  • Chrome opened (my default browser) but site wouldn’t open. Error message as stated above.

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used? 5.9.7

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

• Attach the Local Log. See this Community Forum post for instructions on how to do so:
    local-lightning.log.zip (27.5 KB) local-lightning.log.zip (27.5 KB)

I appreciate any help you can give please!

After all my trouble shooting above, I just changed PHP version from 7.4.1 to 7.3.5 and this then gave me access to my site (WP login page). woohoo!

Not sure if I got lucky or it’s a PHP compatability issue?? Hope this helps others troubleshooting

I’m glad that downgrading worked for you and thanks for such a detailed topic! It really helps to drill down to what the underlying issue is!

I took a look at the Local log and have a few questions:

• I’m seeing some references to httpd in there – are both of the sites that were having issues running apache?

• Since downgrading PHP helped, I wonder if you need to manually upgrade the PHP lightning service to get PHP 7.4.1 to work. We’re working on making the service update process better, but in the meantime, can you try the steps outlined in this FAQ:

• Lastly, I’d be curious to see the router log (“Help > Reveal Local Router Log”) as well as the various server (php,apache,MySQL) logs for the individual site. You can get those in the logs folder next to the app folder for the specific site that was having issues.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.