Local renaming partition for Home Directory on Mac

Hi,

I want to use Local because it’s the best option for a local server, but I’m stymied by the problems it created on my Mac.

Basic issue: From what I see, Local renamed the partition used by my Home Directory from “wd500” to “wd500 1” and created a special partition that used the “wd500” name. This meant that I couldn’t reboot without serious issues, i.e, limited apps and a complete loss of settings.

System info: This was a clean install of macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra on my Mac Mini (late 2012) with 2 drives (SSD for system and apps; HD for Home Directory and backups). The latest version of Local was installed using homebrew on 5/24 and 5/28. Virtualbox was also installed, but I’m not using any VMs as servers; I didn’t install any antivirus. Home Directory was set via Advanced Options under Users & Groups. This was an upgrade from Sierra and years of accumulated cruft.

Info about the two partitions using “ls -ale” in iTerm:
d–x--x–x+ 3 root wheel wd500
0: group:everyone inherited deny add_file,add_subdirectory,directory_inherit
drwxrwxr-x 12 root admin wd500 1

Following down the new “wd500” directory showed:
“wd500” --> --> Library --> Local --> run --> router
Notes:

• there was only one entry in each succeeding directory–Library was the only entry under , Local was the only entry under Library, etc.
  • the router directory couldn’t be opened despite changing permissions, removing ACL, and everything I tried

History:

• the problem recurred after clean reinstall of High Sierra from USB drive and reinstallation of Local and all other apps
  • the problem has not recurred since second clean reinstall on 6/7 of High Sierra from USB drive and no installation of Local (reinstallation of all other apps)

Obviously, I don’t have Local installed right now, because I need to use my computer. I’m willing to try Local again, however, if anyone has a promising idea on how to prevent the problem or how to recover from it.

Thanks,
Tim

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.