Push to WPEngine and Symlinks Not Working

Issue Summary

If I push an installation to WPEngine from my Mac, and that install has symlinks, those files are not pushed. In most of my installs, I symlink the themes, plugins and mu-plugins directories. So, when I push to WPEngine, it wipes out those directories on WPEngine, and I have to restore them through a different method.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
    I have tested multiple WPEngine-hosted sites with symlinks set up, and it happens in all of those.

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
    Yes

Replication

1. Create a new install, or pull an install from WPEngine on Mac OSX (in my case, Mojave).
  2. Remove the plugins (or themes or mu-plugins, or whatever) directory from the install, and set up a symlink to another directory somewhere else on your computer.
  3. Change something in the symlinked directory and then Push to WPEngine.
  4. The directory for which you’d created a symlink is now missing from the WPEngine server.

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used? 5.8.1+4931

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

• macOS Mojave 10.14.6
  • Attach the Local Log. See this Community Forum post for instructions on how to do so:
    local-lightning.log (36.6 KB)

This is great feedback! Right now, you’re right that Connect can’t handle symlinks, but I think it’s a great idea and should have a feature request created:

https://localwp.canny.io/feature-requests

Until then, I think the only way of getting around this is to avoid using symlinks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.