SSL doesn't work in anything other than Safari on MacOS Big Sur

Issue Summary

SSL/HTTPS no longer works in anything other than Safari on MacOS Big Sur. On Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc. I get an ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error every time. Safari has no issue though. HTTP works fine.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
    All sites.

Replication

1. Make sure you’re on Big Sur.
  2. Create a site in Local.
  3. Trust the cert in Local and enable HTTPS.
  4. Try and visit the site in any browser other than Safari.

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?
    MacOS Big Sur

1. Go to Keychain app.
  2. Select the certificate with the website name you created and double click it:

1. Select the small trust arrow and select always trust:

1. Close the certificate window. It will ask you for your admin password to save the changes.
  2. Close the browser, close the Local app, Open browser and empty browser cache.
  3. Open Local app again and Enjoy SSL and HTTPS local website without any errors from chrome etc.
2 Likes

Hey vj1221! I already had the Cert set to Always Trust for all settings. I set it to Never Trust and back to Always Trust (applying both times) and rebooted just in case it’d make a difference. No dice. Still ERR_CONNECTION_RESET in everything but Safari.

Empty browser cache and reload server (close the website and Local app).
Hold Shift and tap reload on chrome. Let me know if it helped.

After you trust the certificate in Keychain app, do you see (blue +) next to it?

That didn’t make a difference, sadly. I do see the blue + next to the certificate in the Keychain app.
I even tried downloading a browser I’ve never used on this computer before (Vivaldi) and it has the same error.

That’s weird. It works for me (Big Sur 11.2.2 and Local 5.10.1). Did you enter your site url specifically with (https://)? https://yoursite.local
Or just typed yoursite.local in the browser?

If it still doesn’t help, try to create a new website with a different suffix. I’m using .dev instead the builtin .local. Didn’t have any issues with .dev.

Specifically typed the full URL. Tried creating a new site with .dev instead of .local, same issue. Still works perfect in Safari… What could Safari be doing differently from every other browser on my system that causes this?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.