SSL Not working on Chrome with NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID

I guess this is never getting fixed or acknowledged ? Sigh… come on…

1 Like

I’m sorry that it seems like this isn’t going to be worked on. The problem is that it’s hard to find reliable reproduction steps for an issue like this, where existing sites are suddenly affected with only one browser. This is especially true in relation to SSL things.

I think that the main problem is related to what happened in October when the larger internet exploded with the Let’s Encrypt Root CA X3 certificate expiring.

Because of that certificate expiring, Local had to upgrade Electron and release an update in order for it to continue working.

I think the only “fix” for those existing sites is to work through re-trusting the certificates for each site. That’s definitely not a fun thing to do, but realistically speaking, it’s probably the best way of getting back to work.

As a follow up question @razorbraille – if you do delete the cert for those existing sites, and have the newer version of Local re-trust them, does that fix things for you?

Hello,

Have you found a solution to the problem?

Best regards

I guess we’re all waiting for WordPress 5.9 or typing “thisisunsafe” every time we fire up chrome

1 Like

I can’t access any website today. There is a SSL problem. HTTP is OK but HTTPS sites not opening. debug.log is empty. It happens in Chrome latest version.

I am using MacOs Monterey 12.2
LocalWP 6.2.1

This occurring all new created and old sites.

For those of you that are still getting the NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID can you take a closer look at the raw certificate that Chrome shows you?

You can do that by clicking on the message within Chrome.

I’m wondering if there is a doubling up of the certificate blocks and is therefore not being interpreted correctly by Chrome.

I can use without SSL. How can i revert HTTP ?

Having the same issue, today. And yes, when I click the error message, there is a doubling up of the certificate blocks.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks!

Hi, I am having the same problem. Suddenly the error NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID appears on all websites, no matter the version of wordpress or browser. I have updated LOCAL to the latest version but the problem continues.

I would be very grateful for any solution

Same problem here :wave:

I can confirm that the certificate blocks are duplicated for me.

Example:

2 Likes

Any solution?

I think the only thing you need to do is change the urls within the DB to use the regular protocol. To do this, right-click on the site and select “Open Site Shell.” From there, you can run this command within the terminal (updating the domain to be your domain)

wp search-replace 'https://example.local' 'http://example.local'

Thanks a lot for verifying that @swissspidy ! Couple of clarifying things:

• What OS and what version of the OS are you using?
  • Do you get that doubled-up cert for all sites in Local, or just sites that have been pulled down from Flywheel? I ask because one user mentions that as a potential source of the problem:
  • Can provide the Local Logs? You can get a zip of those logs by clicking the “Download Local Log” button from the “Support” tab of Local. See this help doc for more info about that button:

Same problem. Yes the raw cert is doubled up. Running latest Local on macOS Big Sur 11.4

Any solution yet? Thanks.

I’m using macOS 12.12 Monterey (the latest one).

I’m getting this for all sites. I have never used the “pull down” feature. I am not a Flywheel / WP Engine customer.

My log file is attached.

local-logs.zip (411.7 KB)

1 Like

I’m using macOS Catalina (version 10.15.7). Having this problem in all sites, in Chrome. I can access in Firefox but it still says “Connection not secure”. I’ve never used Flywheel “pull down” feature.

Local logs file is attached.
local-logs.zip (59.1 KB)

1 Like

Bug Summary

Chrome shows NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID and will not load. Can’t accept and continue. Just nothing.

Steps to reproduce

6.2.1+5711 any site with a trusted cert gets this error in Chrome for me. Firefox and Safari are workable

Environment Info

OSX 11.6 and Chrome Version 97.0.4692.99

Same for me.

Same issue here after upgrading to 6.2.1.

Chrome just completely blocks the site. Doesn’t even allow you to do the bypass.

You cannot visit site.local right now because the website sent scrambled credentials that Chrome cannot process. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

More info: also get cert error in Firefox but able to accept and continue. Some AJAX code not working correctly due to the SSL errors.

Would like to request this bug get upgraded priority.